Small wooden model of Isambard Kingdom Brunel’s ship the ‘Great Eastern’.
Designed by Brunel in 1858 and built by J. Scott Russell and Co. at Millwall on the River Thames, the ‘Great Eastern’ was then the biggest ship ever built. She had the capacity to carry 4000 passengers from Great Britain to Australia without refueling.
After several years operating as a passenger liner between Britain and North America, she was converted into a telegraph cable laying ship. She laid the successful Transatlantic telegraph cable of 1866 (under the command of Captain James Anderson) and a section of the telegraph cable on the route from Porthcurno to Bombay (now Mumbai, India) in 1870. The ship was broken up in Liverpool in 1889.
Not currently on display.